The United States military will continue to provide certain support, including intelligence, to Saudi Arabia regarding Yemen for defensive purposes, the top commander of American forces in the Middle East said Monday.
The military has said the coaching was initiated to minimize civilian casualties in the Saudi-led air war over Yemen, though civilian deaths have continued. That advising has halted as a result of President Joe Biden’s order, the Pentagon announced last week.
“The war in Yemen has be come a uniquely horrific humanitarian disaster,” Pentagon press secretary Jon Kirby said on Monday. “More needs to be done as a government to reduce the effects of that and alleviate the human suffering.”
US support for the Saudi-led campaign began under the Obama presidency.